Monday, October 15, 2012

Cornfields

Yesterday we went down to Elmwood to see Nathan's parents and let Shelby explore the cornfields. After his Grandma and Uncle came by, we decided to take a family outing to search for missed ears that could be fed to the squirrels. Shelby loved it, and being the grown up puppy she is, veered off from the rest of the crowd. I started following her, and she made up her own obstacle courses, jumping and running and ending by jumping up on my back, then starting over. She eventually decided to book it up the hill, so I followed and we weaved in and out of the rows. I started thinking about how much fun I was having, and how it is a uniquely midwest thing to experience. I thought about how peaceful it was, with the wind blowing and the husks rustling, and started writing about it in my head. Of course, then there was an unexpected turn.

Shelby had grown tired of exploring on her own, so we headed back to the house, with her close by my side. Then she saw Nathan, and wanted to play again. Unfortunately, her idea of playing was jumping the barbed wire fence. Nathan and I stood there, in disbelief she had done that, and then we looked over and couldn't see her. So we split up and eventually saw her running toward the house, which happened to also be toward the highway. I hoped that, like the last time she ran out, she would just run to the front door, and luckily she did. She had a really fun time, that's for sure (we think she was chasing an animal of some kind), but it was a little more scary for us. And definitely ended my peaceful moment picking up corn and listening to the wind.

Thanks Meagan, for posting about the changes in your life. We'll have to get together so I can drop off your bag, and I even have one for Mr. K as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment