Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Book Review: Here I Go Again

I love basically anything Jen Lancaster writes. Seriously. I find her memoirs to be (literally) laugh out loud funny and so spot on when it comes to her observations. And that didn't change when it comes to her novels, the second being Here I Go Again.


Here I Go Again is the story of a popular girl's reality 20 years later, and how her glory days of high school have affected her current not-so-glorious present. At her high school reunion, she is made aware of the success of everyone she used to look down on has had and is then given a chance to go back and change her decisions so she too will have the life that she wants. But changing the outcome of everyone's life won't be as easy as she thought.

What I love about this book is the character development, and how Lissy eventually realizes what truly matters to her and what kind of life she wants to lead. I thought that it was hilarious, yet also had serious undertones that tugged at my heartstrings, such as the relationships between parents and children, popular kids vs. not popular kids, and of course, Lissy and the men in her life.

I also love the high school reunion concept and even though I didn't go to high school in the '80s, I loved all of the pop culture references. I have always looked forward to my high school reunion, even when I was in high school, but now that it's a year away, it doesn't seem to be as exciting as it once was. I have often wondered what effect Facebook has had on reunions, in that it used to be you would learn all about people from your past every 10 years or so, but now, you know what everyone's up to every 10 minutes or so. But what's super fun about this book is that Lissy uses Facebook in her book, which I always love to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment