Saturday, January 8, 2011

More Than A Job

As a senior in college, I was just as uncertain about the future as I was as a senior in high school. But my circumstances were different. When I graduated from high school, I knew I was ready for a new beginning, and I wanted to go out into the world and start over, meet new people, learn who I was. And thanks to some truly awesome friends, I did that in college, and we created wonderful memories. I’d just broken up with my first serious boyfriend, and felt overwhelmed by the thought of trying to start somewhere new, without the friends who had been there for me not matter what and become my Lincoln family. I didn’t think I’d be able to make friends if I moved, especially after my stint in D.C. the previous summer. And I found that resumes I’d sent out to my dream jobs were coming back unanswered.

So, I decided to take a job at a local publishing company when I was offered it the day before graduation. It was a logical decision—even though I knew nothing about technology, I could learn. And I would be able to write, stay in Lincoln with my friends, and support myself on my salary. I never expected that it would create such wonderful opportunities for me.

Even though I was hired as a writer, I started as a copy editor because they needed one temporarily, and it would give me the chance to learn about the magazines I’d be writing for. Within a week, I felt overwhelmed by the thought of trying to write, and so I took the easy way out and stuck with editing. But I’m glad I did. I’ve learned a lot these past few years, not just about technology, but working with people, communication, and editing and grammar.

I’ve also made some amazing friends, even though I never thought I would. Just like my college friends, they’ve been there for me through good and bad. They’ve supported me and encouraged me. (This blog would likely not even be here if it weren’t for them. Or have readers!) We can talk about our personal lives just as easily as we can about work (which we tend to do a lot, even in mixed company . . . sorry about that.) I told Nathan after our Christmas party that I think we’ve turned into a big crazy family that spouses have to marry into, with inside jokes and traditions of our own. I’m so grateful to have met such wonderful people, especially when I didn’t expect it, and that because we have gone above and beyond a co-worker relationship, we’ll still be close even when I’m not working here.

I’ve also gained something else valuable from my first job: Nathan. When I started, I wasn’t looking for a relationship with anyone, and I’m not sure Nathan was either. But we started talking, and then started hanging out, and then started dating, and it just evolved into a marriage.

And so, even though I am currently seeking other opportunities, this job was meant to be, because it was so much more. It has made me a grown up and set up the course of my life, I think, and I can’t wait to see what happens from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment