Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Dystopian Novels: The Hunger Games

The Book: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Why I Checked It Out: I jumped on The Hunger Games bandwagon right after it started getting a little more popular, before the third book came out. I loved it right away, and made Nathan read it, too. It reminds me of the short story, “The Lottery” and The Giver.

The Plot: In a future world, two teenagers from each of the 12 districts of a former North America, must compete in the annual Hunger Games, a televised, to-the-death competition. Katniss volunteers to fight in place of her younger sister Prim, and the book follows her experience in the arena.

What I Liked: I think the characters in the book are all very real and well-developed. They are not perfect, they are not stereotypical, and sometimes they are even questionable. But they are relatable, and it was easy for me to imagine them.

What I Didn’t Like: It can be kind of gruesome if you’re like me and have a low tolerance for death and violence. However, I don’t think the book would be the same without it, and I certainly appreciate that it is well-written enough to make me feel that way.

Do I Recommend It? Highly. And if you do decide to read it, be sure to finish before March when the movie comes out.

Related Reading:
Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment