Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dystopian Novels: Delirium

The Book: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Why I Checked It Out: I had read (and loved) Lauren Oliver’s first novel, Before I Fall. Delirium was in the nook books under five dollars one night when I was looking for a book to read, so I bought it.

The Plot: What would the world be like if love was a disease? A world where if you fell in love, or became infected, you would be ostracized, committed, or even killed? That is the kind of world our main character, Lena, lives in. She is even more susceptible to the disease because her mother had it, so she looks forward to the day when she can be cured and live life with the match that is chosen for her. But her life doesn’t go as she expect it to after she meets Alex.

What I Liked: First of all, I think this is a fantastic concept. But not only is the story interesting, the characters, particularly Lena are so well-written. I like that Lena doesn’t start out as being a “rebellious” character, but instead becomes one due to circumstances beyond her control. I like that she has a hard time making choices, and it doesn’t seem like her path is going a certain way. And I like the interaction that the other characters have with her throughout the book, as well.

What I Didn’t Like: The ending was a cliffhanger! I don’t like that I have to wait to know what happens, because the ending was that good. There is a sequel coming out soon.

Do I Recommend It? Yes. It seems like a teen/young adult read, but it’s more substantial that even “grown-ups” will be able to relate to it.

Related Reading:
Before I Fall, Lauren Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment