Friday, September 21, 2012

Bedroom Update: Nightstand Upgrade

In my recent end of summer summary posts, I talked about some indoor updates we had done that I hadn't blogged about. One of these is the new nightstands we got for our bedroom. Our old nightstands were free! from the closet downstairs, but weren't particularly nice looking or functional.
 
 
 
 
So we literally drove all over town looking for something else, because in case you couldn't tell by all of the random stuff on the rocking chair, there just wasn't enough space for all of my stuff. This is where my OCD/Nathan's cheapness comes in though. See, Nathan's dad built our awesome headboard, so it has a cool stain that, as it turns out, isn't necessarily easy to match. And anything that was remotely close to what we wanted was more than we wanted to spend. Enter Ikea. I made my mom go buy two unfinished three-drawer nightstands, and we brought them back with us in March. Then they sat in the garage in their tiny boxes until we finally decided to put them together a few months later (aka, Nathan was cleaning out the garage and told me that we needed to get them done). Here they are in their unfinished glory.


We figured out what color stain his parents used on the bed and got some at Menard's. However, whatever we got did not go very far and was gone by the time I finished the first nightstand. So I bought the gel kind, which smelled awful but did the job much more effectively.


Then I decided to upgrade to some nicer-looking knobs, since we only spent $60 total. And they look so pretty next the matching headboard. Even though they are now, once again, kind of covered in a lot of stuff.

2 comments:

  1. What I wouldn't give to have an Ikea close to us... That look so good! I love the stain.

    ReplyDelete