Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Book Review: Dearie

The Book: Dearie, by Bob Spitz

Why I Checked It Out: I think Julia Child is one cool lady, but I didn't know too much about her life, other than what I'd seen in Julie & Julia. I had seen her kitchen at the Smithsonian (the first time, because when we were there in March the exhibit was closed!), and wanted to know more.

The Plot: A very in-depth history of Julia Child's life.

What I Liked: I liked all of the context that is provided in the book. I really felt like we got to not only understand Julia Child's life but her feelings about her life and the feelings of the people in her life. There is so much detail that you feel like you are watching her live. I also love that she couldn't cook initially.

What I Didn't Like: This sounds pretty silly, but I wish there were more pictures. One of my favorite things about biographies are the pictures that hang out in the middle of the book that I can flip through. There are pictures at the beginning of the chapters though.

Do I Recommend It: Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment