Monday, September 24, 2012

Writing Update: All Over The Road

Every Sunday that I can, I listen to "Bob Kingsley's Country Top 40," because it reminds me of home--my mom and I used to listen to it on the way to and from church, and it just makes my Sundays feel a little more home-y. Sometimes Nathan and I are working on house projects, sometimes I'm picking up the house and getting ready for the upcoming week, sometimes we're out running around town. I will take what I can get normally, but it's a really fun day when I get listen from 40 to 1 and hear all of the songs, the listener requests, and, unfortunately, the Netflix commercials.

Yesterday, Bob (yes, we're on a first name basis) was talking about the phrase "all over the road" (because it's the name of Easton Corbin's new album), and I thought that it was the perfect way to sum up my recent writing experiences.

Perhaps I am too much of a multitasker, but it seems I can't focus on just one project--I have to have several going at a time. First, I outlined a book, worked on it a little, then decided (again) to back to my very first original idea that I was working on for the first Camp NaNo, and outline it to see if it would be more inspiring to write. Now poor second book got pushed aside while I work on the first one. I guess it's a good thing that I have two books going at once, but I suppose the challenge will be finishing one of them before starting something else.

I have also started to set a schedule for myself so my writing becomes more of a priority. At 3:00 every day I can, I settle down at my desk to at least write somethign, which many authors recommend. At the moment I don't have a set amount of time/words/scenes I have to work on, rather I write while I feel like it and then move on. It is working pretty well actually, and I'm not surprised. For someone who loves routine and organization, it sure took me a while to add some structure to my often-chaotic schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment