Wednesday, March 16, 2011

DIY: Living Room Artwork

As I posted yesterday, we're getting a lot checked off of our list! If you hadn't noticed, pretty much every room has "hang photos" as a task. Nathan loves photography, and he is quite good at it, so we have lots of choices for our home. He likes pictures of scenes, while I like pictures of people, so we compromise, mix and match, for a look that is perfectly us.

I had found an idea on a blog (though I am not sure which one) for a butterfly specimen shadowbox using punched out paper. I thought I could make it using some of the paper remaining from the wedding to hang up in our living room, among the photos. I thought it was originally a Martha Stewart project, but couldn't find a tutorial on her site; however, I did find lots of other projects I wanted to try out. There are also several versions available on etsy, but I like to think this is uniquely us because I used the same punch used for our aisle decorations and the paper leftover from those as well as the book covers and centerpieces.

Here's my version of how I put everything together, though it seems like the other tutorials out there are much easier.

My supplies were all ones that I already had. The four kinds of paper were from the wedding, and I also already had the punch. Then I just needed a pencil, glue, and a ruler.
Picture
I originally planned on using the white paper for the backdrop, but with the other white paper, I thought the punches wouldn't pop as much. So I chose blue as the backdrop, which actually goes with our curtains better and will pop more on a grayish wall once we paint.

I used my ruler to draw out a grid. It took a few tries to get it just right, but eventually I ended up with 2 inches between each dot. I had to take the punch size into account when figuring all of this out.
Picture
Then, I just glued each punch onto the paper where the lines matched up, making sure they were straight, and let it dry. I chose to alternate the whites and use the orange punches to make an L, though I wanted it to be subtle.
Picture
Once the glue was dry, I erased the lines and put it in a 12x12 frame we had already bought. And here it is, the final product. I'll show it again when it's hung up, because it's going to be part of something bigger.
Picture
P.S. Yes, that is the stair ledge I meant to paint white today. Someday, it will be checked off the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment