Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Celebrate Reading

Today is Dr. Suess' birthday, and Read Across America Day, which is a particularly special day to read. While specifically it involves specific programming in schools about the wonderful world of Suess (have you seen the Dr. Suess fabric? Love.), I think any day should be an opportunity to crack open any book. Or, maybe you could consider green eggs and ham for dinner. I remember doing this as a kid, and it was really fun--and probably pretty easy to make. Here's a recipe in case you need it, as pulled from my memory/improvised a bit.

Green Eggs & Ham
Eggs (number depends on how many people you're feeding: 1-2 eggs per person)
Milk
Cubed ham (I would buy the pre-cubed kind from the grocery store)
Cheese (to add extra deliciousness)
Green food coloring

Crack the eggs into a bowl and mix with a little bit of milk and green food coloring. Set aside. In a hot pan, cook the ham, then add eggs and scramble. Mix in cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Also, because you know I love a good digital reading vs. traditional reading debate: When I was searching for information on this special day to share with you, I came across this from the LA Times. What I find most interesting, and perhaps telling of what direction reading has taken, is the fact that the picture that is shown is not a book--it's an iPhone. And they also talk about the Dr. Suess app, because of course there's an app for it. Personally, I prefer the feel of a real book, but what about you? Will you be reading on your smartphone today?

No comments:

Post a Comment