Thursday, July 7, 2011

Book Review: With Friends Like These

Book Review Wednesday is back this week, and I'm going to try a different format. I have found that I have a hard time writing posts that really reflect my experience with the book, so I'm going to try something a little different. Let me know what you think!

The Book: With Friends Like These, Sally Koslow

Why I Checked It Out: I was at the library returning some books and stumbled across it because Sally Koslow also wrote a book I'd loved, The Late, Lamented Molly Marx. I also checked out Koslow's other book, Little Pink Slips.

The Plot: A look at the changing friendships between four women who lived together in their twenties and how careers, motherhood, and marriage effected the change.

Overall Impression: When I was reading the jacket copy for this book, I thought it seemed like a grown-up version of The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants series, and in a way, it was. The plot was much deeper, as the book is targetted to adults, but I think it's a real look at female friendships and how they can change as life changes, too.

What I Liked: I think Sally Koslow's characters are fantastic, and what's great about these characters in particular is that they are all flawed in some way, and we can not only see these flaws, but understand why they are part of each of them, and maybe even each of us. All four women seem very real, mostly because the book changes perspective with each chapter, letting each woman have her voice and letting us, readers, see both sides of the two main driving plot shakeups. And these women are not cookie-cutter perfect; they all make decisions or react in ways that I could relate to.

What I Didn't Like: I would have preferred a little more closure at the end, but I think it was appropriate with the way the story progressed.

Do I Recommend It? Yes. Don't give it the "chick lit" stigma though. Even though it's about female friendships, it's not quite as light and happy as it might appear, and it will leave you thinking about your friendships.

Related Reading:
The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants, Ann Brashares
The Wednesday Sisters, Meg Waite Clayton
Something Borrowed and Something Blue, Emily Giffin
Now & Then (OK, that's a movie. But still related.)

No comments:

Post a Comment