Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Kitchen Dreaming

I know, I'm a day late, but thanks for the comments on the kitchen! I'm glad people like the purple. I realized after I painted it that I thought it looked really good, but not everyone is crazy about purple like I am. But, it brings the living/dining room and the kitchen togehter, which I think is important since they occupy most of the first floor and it makes the purple in the living room more logical.

Currently, Nathan's dad is building us some cabinets, and here is my inspiration for the layout of our kitchen, found here via pinterest.
Picture
I pinned this photo right away because thats how much space we have to work with, essentially. Minus the corner/island part that's sticking out on the right side. So we'll be using essentially the same layout for the top cabinets as this photo, only the microwave will go over the stove so we can have one bigger cabinet rather than two smaller ones. And in our house, the stove and drawers are reversed.

We are unable to have a "u-shaped" kitchen because there is a small wall-thing that cuts into the kitchen that we can't take out. Also, there are windows on the wall, and rather than taking out the windows and drywalling, we're going to add a door. So currently, the fridge is blocking part of the window on that wall, but eventually it will work better. This is also where we'll add some counterspace. Because of the floor vent we can't build out too much on the floor, so instead we'll have a longer counter top with a large drawer. I thought I had pictures of this wall, but apparently not, so you will have to wait until it's updated.

After two days of having everything at least temporarily functioning, I'm loving it. I had forgotten how awesome it is to have a dishwasher next to the sink! We still have a while for temporary living--Jim isn't quite done with our cabinets yet, and we will have to take a couple of weeks to paint them once they are, but I'm looking forward to the mostly-finished project and I know it is worth the chaos!

No comments:

Post a Comment