Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Thanks, HGTV

I am not a spontaneous person. I am also not handy with a drill. And I HATE getting dirty. Which is why it is a surprise that I decided to force Nathan into finally doing something about our kitchen.

Our house is a nice house, and works great for the two of us and Shelby. But I have hated the kitchen with a passion from probably day 1. There is practically no counterspace, I hate the portable dishwasher, and the colors, which might have been pretty with the other owner's stuff, are just awful: a bright tealish blue with dark gray on the walls, a metallic silver finish on the walls beneath the cabinets, a different color silver cabinet base, and dark-stained wood doors. It really got to the point that I hated being in there. So, my HGTV kick prompted me to decide that it would be totally easy to just start the project ourselves, paint the walls and the cabinets, and rearrange a little to have a better space arrangement.

As it turns out, it is not easy. We uncovered a huge, nasty hole when we took the now-not-working exhaust fan down, with cooking gunk from probably every other previous owner embedded inside. We moved a cabinet and discovered that the floor wasn't finished, and the baseboard didn't go to the end of the wall either. The plaster behind the cabinets is crumbling. And on and on.

We made some good progress, taking out two-thirds of the cabinets, filling in the hole in the wall, and getting a coat of paint on the cabinets and the wall. But we have a ton more to do, and as I kept admitting to Nathan, "this is going to take longer than I thought." But even though the house is truly a disaster and we have a half-functioning kitchen, I'm glad we started.

That was our Fourth of July weekend--how was yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment