Monday, September 19, 2011

Book Review: Sammy's Hill

There are two kinds of readers, generally speaking. Those who can reread their favorite books over and over and over again, and those who read books only once. There is not a right or wrong way, just different ways. Also, I'm sure there are people that are the exception to that, too. I fall into the first category: I can read my favorites over and over again. But they aren't necessarily my favorites; instead, they are books I can turn to when I just need something to read. Something that I know I will like, something that is easy.

I have read a LOT of very good books recently. But I generally have phases with my reading, where I read so much (I was going to the library every day and checking out at least three books each time...that's a lot!) that I just can't do it anymore. And that's where my comfort books come in.

The book I grabbed last night was Sammy's Hill by Kristin Gore, which is about the everyday life of a Capitol Hill staffer. But she is one of the best characters ever written, because she is totally quirky. I mean, seriously quirky, and you really wonder if anyone is that quirky, until you realize that you are. (Yes, that did happen to me while I was reading this.)

Here is an example of one of her quirks:
"Yet as I tried to fall asleep, I couldn't shake the feeling that something was going wrong. If not in my romantic life, then somewhere else. It was times such as these that I always got very worried about alibis. What if my weird feeling was intuition (which was even more plausible now that I knew about my mother's psychic prowess), and I was sensing that right at that very moment, while I was home alone with no witnesses, someone was framing me for a terrible crime?"

I read this book while I was in D.C., which is probably part of the reason that I like it so much. And I do like it that much--I saw someone else on the bus reading it after I had just finished and had to really resist the urge to talk about the book with her. And I read it twice in a row. As in, I finished it, and then started it again because I wasn't ready for it to be over.

There is a hilarious part that invovles sending a slightly scandalous email as a "reply all" message rather than reply, which is hilarious. Many fish and the conspiracy behind why they keep dying. Boyfriend drama and romance drama. And a look at what it might be like working in Washington. Really, the whole book is great for a laugh, and of course you end of cheering for Samantha all the way through the book and the sequel. There were talks for a movie back when I first read it, but alas, not yet . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment