Monday, February 13, 2012

A Mouse In The House

This weekend, our peaceful movie night featuring Moneyball (which was really good), was interrupted by some rustling upstairs. However, it was not upstairs, but in the ceiling. Unfortunately, there had to be some kind of rodent living in our ductwork. It was way below freezing, after all, and the little guy was just trying to stay warm.

We set out some traps yesterday, but haven't heard another peep (aside from the squeak I heard yesterday while putting away the groceries). I'm hoping that said rodent decided to just leave now that it's warmed up and we won't have to use the traps, because they make me sad. But, we certainly don't want a mouse running around, either.

The whole incident reminded me of The Borrowers, by Mary Norton. After first reading the book when I was little, I really hoped the borrowers were real, and that maybe I would eventually find some. Unfortunately, I never did. Maybe the reason we haven't caught anything in our traps is because the intruder is not mice, but borrowers, and they were just extra loud on Saturday night because they were having a party.

Another movie version of The Borrowers comes out this Friday: The Secret World Of Arrietty, with voices by Will Arnett and Amy Poehler, among others. Maybe we'll have to check it out to learn some tips on living with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment