Thursday, February 23, 2012

Oscar Week: Moneyball

Movie: Moneyball
Book: Moneyball, by Michael Lewis

Nominations: Actor In a Leading Role, Actor In a Supporting Role, Best Picture, Film Editing, Sound Mixing, Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

My Thoughts: This is a book I don't think I would have picked up on my own. We did watch the movie last weekend, and while none of my other "reviews" have been about the movie, I think that the story that is Moneyball, at least for me, was easier to understand while watching the movie rather than reading the book. Of course, I think the book goes into a bit more detail, but because I am not especially familiar with baseball recuriting, the movie details were hard enough for me to grasp. My favorite part of the story overall was that it mixed in Billy Beane's history with baseball with the story of the Oakland A's. And as always with real-life stories, I wished I knew the rest of the story once the book/movie was over, and I have to admit I was searching google and wikipedia to see what has happened since then. So, if you love baseball, sports, statistics, etc., I recommend the book, but if you're like me and are better at "visually learning," the movie might be better. I know, I, too, can't believe I typed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment