Monday, February 28, 2011

I Love Vinegar

I would like to introduce you all to my new favorite thing: Vinegar. Well, actually, I hate vinegar, in terms of taste and smell, but recently, I've discovered its versatility, particularly as a natural household cleaner.

My friend Kaitlyn got me a book for my birthday called Vinegar: 1001 Practical Household Uses. And that's what really got me hooked. It's broken into different sections (laundry, cleaning, DIY, outdoor/gardening, cookery, health and beauty, and pet care) and outlines all of the different uses for vinegar in that category. And what different uses there are.

The first thing I tried from the book were oven and microwave cleaning. For the oven, you mix vinegar with borax or powdered laundry detergent and make a paste. Heat the oven to 180 degrees for 5 minutes, spread the paste at the bottom and leave it for an hour. Then I used a rubber spatula to pick up the paste and scrubbed with a scouring pad. Our oven is beautiful! For the microwave, I just mixed water and vinegar, put it in the microwave, and "cooked" it for five minutes. The steam loosened spills (gross) and made it easy to scrub up. Magic!

I think I'm now addicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment