Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Movie Review: Midnight In Paris

I love watching movies outside in the summertime. The local independent movie theater here does "Screen On The Green," where it shows old movies based on a certain "theme" every Thursday night from around the beginning of July to the end of August. I haven't gotten to go to many in the past, so I wanted to make sure I wouldn't miss them this year. I went over to the Web site, and while I didn't any info on "Screen On The Green," I DID find showtimes for "Midnight In Paris."

I had come across the movie when searching for a movie for the family to see when we were in Denver, and thought it sounded interesting. Here is the synopsis, taken from the IMDb page: A romantic comedy about a family traveling to the French capital for business. The party includes a young engaged couple forced to confront the illusion that a life different from their own is better.

And so, Nathan and I had an impropmtu movie night, and we both loved it.

The movie opened with Rachel McAdams and Owen Wilson on Monet's bridge in Giverney, so I knew I would love it. The movie, while dealing with feelings of nostalgia for time period you're not in and confronting the concept of living in the past, is hilarious, especially to literary/classical art/music dorks like Nathan and I. Or should I say nerds? In fact, there were parts where, as usual, Nathan and I were the only people laughing. (This seems to happen in every movie we go to.)

It's also about writing, and how sometimes you need to let go in order to move forward, which also applies to life. And Owen Wilson is lucky enough to experience Paris in the 1920s to help him do that. If only we could all be so lucky, too!

And even if you're not a super nerd like us, it's not a typical romantic comedy--instead, it has some elements of love while dealing with a serious theme, creating intellectual humor, and giving a history lesson. I definitely suggest you check it out if you can. It's at the Ross until Thursday, and I'm sure other cities have more availability for it, if you aren't a Lincolnite.

No comments:

Post a Comment