Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Book-Themed Bridal Shower

So, our little Shelby kept us rather busy last night, so I didn't get to post about the shower I had for my friend Kelley this weekend. I imagine my blog "schedule" will be off for a while as we work into our routine with her. And focus on potty training. She is a pretty smart dog though—last night she mastered going down the stairs and today she was playing fetch. She really likes her fabric turtle and chewing on her bed, so I think we need to get her some other fabricy toys, like a rope. She also had her first treat, and she is really picky about them. She only likes the soft treats, it seems. We might make a visit to PetSmart today, depending on how tired she is later.

So, anyway: the book-themed bridal shower. Kelley and I were both journalism English majors (from Colorado at UNL), so it seemed fitting that we asked guests to bring her books for her bridal shower gift. I made up the invitations in yellow and wrote a poem for the occassion: "Cathy had Heathcliff, Elizabeth had Darcy, Kelley has Shawn, So let's have a party." Then I instructed people to bring a book: a cookbook, a favorite book, or just whatever they thought she'd like. I had planned on doing custom bookplates for Kelley to put in the books later, but I wasn't sure if she'd want to return them if she got an accidental repeat, so I didn't. But she didn't get repeats, which was exciting. Kelley also wanted to have recipes from people, so I included two library cards with each invite for people to write on.

We didn't really have a shower game, but had people explain why they brought her the books. It was very laidback and we just drank sangria and ate desserts. I made food that corresponded with her wedding colors, which were black, white, and yellow. I made devil's food cupcakes and lemon cupcakes, both with cream cheese frosting, and mini cheesecakes. I intended to make a jello mousse, but it did not turn out, so Nathan and I just ate it. It was stilly pretty good. Decorations were super simple—I just pulled a book vase out from our wedding and bought daisies to put in it. Then I had black and white plates and napkins. I'll try and post the recipes I used later tonight while watching Glee!

It was a really fun shower, and it was fun to get book recommendations, as well. I might try and make an adapted "book shower kit" to sell in my etsy store.

No comments:

Post a Comment