Friday, October 15, 2010

word fancies Why

Last night I went over to a sorority sister’s house for an alumnae get-together and got home a little later than I expected, but it was a fun night out.  This relates to today’s word fancies “Why” because of my sorority’s open motto: “The pen is mightier than the sword.”

I think this week’s posts have really illustrated the reasons why I started this blog, so if you are still curious, go back and reread them. I want today’s why post to instead focus on why I want to write, which is something I’m still trying to understand. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I’m a reader. I’m not saying that the two go hand in hand all of the time in every situation, but for me, I think that my reading life has made me want to have a writing life, too. I also think that writers, and readers, for that matter, will only be as good as the support they have from a community.

I want to credit my parents for turning me into a reader. I can’t remember a time that I haven’t loved reading, and I think they are the reason for that. My mom, who is also a reader, would take me to the library and let me check out eight Baby-Sitter’s Club books at a time, and one of my favorite memories growing up is her reading me “A Wrinkle In Time” that I got for Christmas. My dad does not read books, or at least I don’t think I’ve ever seen him read a book, but he reads. And I know that he believes in the value of reading to children based on a conversation I had with him a few years ago in which he told me that he thinks it’s the best thing you can do with your child. So, both of them probably played a huge part in my love for reading. They also supported my early attempts at writing, listening to my stories and reading what I had written.

I don’t think you can ever question the role of a good teacher in someone’s life, particularly as children are learning what they are good at and what they want to do eventually. I was incredibly lucky to have English teachers who recognized my passion for literature and writing, and they truly helped shape the reader, writer, and person I am today. I had several these, but one in particular who is now one of my dearest friends. I think she is the one who really pushed me into believing in my reading and writing abilities and hugely responsible for where I am today. And more importantly, she is still constantly encouraging me as I figure out my life and what I want to do with it.

Nathan is also a writer, though he does it for a living. He writes for computer publications, one of which I’m an editor for. Yes. He is a writer and I am an editor. But now I’m also a writer, and he has joined my support system in kind of an editor role. He’ll tell me what he likes or doesn’t like (not in a mean way), and we can talk about writing together to make it better.

I have friends that support me, as well, who read my currently baby blog and comment on it and encouraged me to start it in the first place when I was scared to. I have an aunt who took me to a literary conference on writing historical fiction (which is my next goal!) that truly inspired me and will really be the foundation of whatever I do. Of course, my siblings and my extended family also play a huge role in my writing support system.  I think all of these people truly believing in my abilities are what made me want to write, and they are also the people that will support me as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment