Thursday, February 21, 2013

Oscars Week 2013: Argo

The books I chose to read for this year's Oscar week were chosen somewhat at random, but in the end it worked out to be almost a science. I wanted to read books that had movies that were nominated for best picture. Because I don't like to see a movie before reading the book, I wanted these to be movies that I hadn't actually seen. It also went by what I could find at at the library.
And while I normally try to avoid book covers with the movie image on them, it's appropriate for this week to show you that cover with my review.
 
image source
Nominated For: Actor In a Supporting Role, Best Picture, Film Editing, Music (Original Score), Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
 
Book Review: I think Argo was my favorite Oscar book I read for this week. It had less of a novel feel than the other two books. (I felt that Team of Rivals was a mix of novel and biography.) It was very straightforward and very interesting. I appreciated that there was some historial context in the beginning of the book to help frame the story, especially since I was not alive for the events that occurred in the book. I also liked that it seemed to me that I was getting an inside look at the CIA, like I was watching an episode of "Alias" maybe.
 
Book vs. Movie: I think everyone I know saw this movie except for me. I'm actually glad that I was able to read this book before the movie, as I think the context will help me enjoy the movie a little better. I was on the edge of my seat while reading the book, so I can only imagine how seeing these events unfold can be as impactful.

No comments:

Post a Comment