Friday, February 22, 2013

Oscars Week 2013: Movie Reviews & My Picks

For the conclusion to our Oscars week, I thought I would (finally!) focus on the movies that I've seen this Oscars season. I was actually surprised there were so few that I'd seen, as I had wanted to see a lot of them (Anna Karenina, Argo, Hitchcock, Les Miserables, Lincoln, and Wreck-It Ralph). But here they are:

Brave: I was surprised by "Brave," as I didn't think the preview accurately prepared me for what the movie was actually about. But aside from that, I was surprised by the message that it put out there, and really liked that message, even though I didn't love the plot as much as I thought I would.

Flight: I was also surprised by "Flight," even though I did know that it took a different focus than I expected, even after being warned. I thought the acting was the main strength of the movie, as it seemed to be a story that really moved forward based on the characters vs. the plot. I will say that I kind of never want to fly again now.

Silver Linings Playbook: When previews for this movie started coming out, I knew I had to see it. And when it started receiving all of its "Oscar Buzz," I knew it wouldn't disappoint me. And it didn't. It wasn't predictable, which it could have been, because I think the relationship in the movie are complicated and real and I liked that.

***

So. After reviewing books and movies for this year's Oscars, here's how I would decide the Oscars Sunday. These aren't all of the categories, just the ones I had a strong opinion on based on what I've seen and read.

Best Picture: Silver Linings Playbook

Actor In A Leading Role: Denzel Washington, Flight (This was tough for me, as I really thought Bradley Cooper was fantastic in "Silver Linings Playbook.")

Actress In A Leading Role: Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook

Actor In A Supporting Role: Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook

Actress In A Supporting Role: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables (Even though I haven't seen it, I love her.)

Animated Feature Film: Brave

Visual Effects: Life of Pi

Writing, Adapted Screenplay: Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment