Friday, November 12, 2010

Friday Fancies

Happy Friday! Our weather has finally turned winter-like, so I'm definitely welcoming the weekend, and hope we can stay warm in our house with the new furnace this weekend!

*Came across the Word & Film site from Random House, which where books, TV, and movies come together. Three of my favorite things, though, of course, books are No. 1. I've always been that way, too: I remember arguing with someone when I was very young (8?) about how books were better than movies because most of the time movies came from books, and even if they didn't, they were written first, just like books. I still agree with that logic. Anyway, the site features a picture from the movie "One Day," a book recommended by my friend Lisa and one I passed on recently. Very good. A site I'll definitely be coming back to.

*Somewhat related, the New Yorker has this article about movies coming out this holiday season based on books, such as HARRY POTTER. Also new in theaters (as of Wednesday), Morning Glory, starring my mom's favorite, Harrison Ford, is a book by Diana Peterfreund. This one is really on my list of movies to see.
 
*And speaking of One Day, it's No. 23 on Amazon's recently released Best Books of 2010: Editor's Picks list. I have only read one other book on that list (Before I Fall, Lauren Oliver) but highly recommend both.

*Books from the list I want to read now. Glad I have a blog to keep track of this for me now:
Where the God of Love Hangs Out, Amy Bloom
Great House, Nicole Krauss (I also just read a very interesting piece by her in Real Simple about her relationship with food: December issue, if you come across it.)
Let's Take The Long Way Home: A Memoir Of Friendship, Gail Caldwell
The Hand That First Held Mine, Maggie O'Farrell
Unbroken, Lauren Hillenbrand
The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks, Rebecca Skloot
Super Sad True Love Story, Gary Shteyngart 
Room, Emma Donoghue
The Lonely Polygamist, Brady Udall

*Going to a baby shower tomorrow for my friend Candace, who writes (beautifully) about her pregnancy journey in her column at the York News Times. She is having a little girl, due in January, and it will be good to see her and her pregnant cuteness. I made her a baby calendar for a gift. It was try two for finding a something to sell in the store, and I definitely like the concept I came up with.

*Came across two interesting posts about money this week, one on A Practical Wedding and the other one Small Notebook. They seemed to really reflect what was going on with us this week as we went through our married finances, and I hope to talk a little about that next week. See you then!

*More Harry Potter? Kind of. I hope so! My vote is for Lily and James.

*And I'm adding Eighteen Acres to the list of books I want to read. Love anything set in Washington, D.C. and how interesting to imagine the world with a woman president. I hope I'm not disappointed. Click here for a review that also includes information on the author. Oh, and for my favorite book set in D.C., check out Sammy's Hill and Sammy's House.

No comments:

Post a Comment