Saturday, November 20, 2010

Friday Fancies

*Have you been to any of the world's greatest bookstores? I haven't, but I still have to say that my favorite bookstore is Barnes & Noble, which is why I generally link to them. Lincoln has a couple of independent or used bookstores, as well. Nathan's favorite is A Novel Idea. And I've also been to Powell's City of Books in Portland, which I think belongs on the list!  

*So Prince William and Kate Middleton are engaged. I would probaby read this book about them. One of the more interesting things I did as an intern at Washington Life was transcribe a conversation between Carol Joynt and Tina Brown about "The Diana Chronicles." I learned a lot about Diana and intended to read the book. Here's the article that eventually ran.

*Interesting reads of the week: This article on the expectations of what Kate Middleton will go through as William's wife  and this post from A Practical Wedding about Elizabeth Gilbert's Committed. While obviously a discussion of the book, the post, as well as the hundreds of comments, also present an interesting viewpoint on what marriage is and what family is and what these mean to women (and men) in today's culture and yesterday's. I think some interesting parallels can be made between the two readings, and some interesting contradictions, as well.  

*Not book-related, but I found this recipe online and am questioning whether I want to try them. I do need to incorporate more vegetables in my life, I suppose. And chocolate, too, of course. http://www.oprah.com/food/Brownies-with-Carrot-and-Spinach  

No comments:

Post a Comment