Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Book Review: Plane Reading

My favorite part of traveling is getting new books to read on the plane or books on CD to listen to in the car. When I was younger, my mom would get me new books especially for the trip, and I would have to wait until we were on our way before I got them. That seemed to be the longest wait ever. And I love to browse airport bookstores for magazines and new reading material should I run out or underestimate the excitement I would have for reading the book(s) that I brought. I even bought my beloved fourth Harry Potter book at an airport bookstore in Denver.

I find that anything I buy at the airport can break my normal book-buying rules, which are as follows:
1. Try to buy as few books as possible because you are running out of room on your bookshelf, and the library lets you borrow books for free.
2. If you do buy a book, it cannot be a mass market paperback version. Splurge for the regular paperback.
3. Do not buy books that have movie covers: It will take away from the experience because you won't be able to imagine what the characters look like for yourself.

This weekend, I broke all three rules. I had brought two library books with me for the plane ride, but I just wasn't feeling them. They were too serious to be plane material (which I also experienced on our flight home from Europe with Dune). And combined with time to browse the airport bookstore because of a delay, I ended up with Charlie St. Cloud. The mass market paperback edition. With Zac Efron on the cover (which, actually, was kind of a deciding factor for me when I was trying to decide between Morning Glory.) And it was the perfect plane book. It was a light read writing-style wise but had a good message about living life even after experiencing tragedy and death. It also explored relationships and how the people in our lives affect us and how we live. I'm interested to see the movie to see how it compares.

I finished the book on the plane from Las Vegas to Denver, and found that I still didn't want to read the books I'd packed with me. So I ended up splurging on Morning Glory, and while it was just a regular paperback, it still had the movie poster cover, which made sure I pictured Harrison Ford and Rachel McAdams as the main characters. This one I didn't love as much, but was definitely right for light travel reading. I think the movie will be really good, even though the book seemed to move too fast and didn't really spend much time on character development or developing motives. Even though it pains me to think that a movie might be better than the book, I think it might be the case with this one, and I think the difference is that the book is based on the movie screenplay. I'm interested to see what I think of the movie now, and actually, part of the reason I ended up with the book was because I couldn't wait to see the movie any longer.

So there you have my Thanksgiving travel reads, and I think both would be good options if you will find yourself needing light reading material over the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment