Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Book Review: The Paris Wife

As I mentioned yesterday, The Paris Wife, by Paula McLain, is about the relationship between Ernest Hemingway and his first wife Hadley. The first few chapters are about their brief courtship and the rest of the book follows their time in Paris as expatriates. It was during this time that Hemingway got his start as writer, writing several of his first books, including my favorite, The Sun Also Rises.

I want to do something a little different with this book review. When I read, I slightly (very slightly) fold over the bottom of the pages that have passages I really like. I wanted to share some of the passages I folded over here.

*"'I want to write one true sentence,' he said. 'If I can write one sentence, simple and true, every day, I'll be satisfied." (81) 
*"His ambitions for his writing were fierce and all encompassing. He had writing the way other people had religion." (81)

Of other interest:
*Hemingway's first works were lost on a train by Hadley. She packed them up to bring with her and lost them on the train.
*Pauline, Hemingway's second wife, was a friend of Hadley's.
*I loved seeing how life in Paris shaped The Sun Also Rises. The book also talks about the inspiration for the characters in The Sun Also Rises and takes us to the running of the bulls a few times, too.

I wonder how much of The Paris wife is fiction, and how much is biographical. I will have to check out some biographies to compare, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment