Wednesday, May 4, 2011

National Children's Book Week: Elementary School Books

It was easier for me to pick some favorite books from elementary school, not because I was older and could remember but because I had most of them sitting on my bookshelf. I am sure that most of these books were later elementary school, but they can also be read aloud to younger children, depending on content.

Favorite Favorites
The True Confessions Of Charlotte Doyle, Avi
The Indian In The Cupboard, Lynne Reid Banks
Sarah and Me and the Lady From The Sea, Patricia Beatty
Judy Blume
Caddie Woodlawn, Carol Ryrie Brink
The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett
Matilda, Roald Dahl
Mandy, Julie Edwards (who is actually Julie Andrews!)
Hitty: Her First 100 Years, Rachel Field
A Wrinkle In Time, Madeline L’Engle (originally read to me by my mother)
The Giver, Lois Lowry
Number The Stars, Lois Lowry
The Borrowers, Mary Norton
The Sky Is Falling series, Kit Pearson

Series I Couldn't Get Enough Of (And Still Can't)
Little House On The Prairie (and all of the companions, of course.)
American Girls: Kirsten (my beloved doll), Samantha, Felicity, Molly, and then Addy was the newest for me--now I think there's at least three more.
Betsy-Tacy, Maud Hart Lovelace
Anne Of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery
Babysitters Club, Ann Martin

Nathan's FavoritesJames  The Giant Peach, Roald Dahl
Charlotte's Web, E.B. White

No comments:

Post a Comment