Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My Celebrities

I won't lie, I love my share of celebrity culture. But when I think about the famous people that would probably make me go eeee! ahhhh! do you know who that is? if I ran into them at say, an airport or some other public place, most of them are authors. (And yes, I think I would be able to recognize my favorites if I saw them on the street.)

I've been lucky enough to hear some really interesting and cool writers. Frank Warren, PostSecret, and Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Nightmares and others, came to the University, and my friend Kaitlyn and I went to hear them speak (and we got there super early both times, too, which meant we had awesome seats) and get books signed. At the Key West literary seminar I went to, I was able to hear lots of good writing advice and meet both established and up-and-coming writers. And stare at the back of Judy Blume's head, which was pretty cool. But one of my favorite author-meeting experiences was Kristin Gore.

I spent the summer in D.C. four years ago (I can hardly believe it's been that long now!), working an internship at a local magazine there. It was an experience, both good and bad, and while I didn't realize it at the time, I learned a lot about myself while out on my own in a strange city. I love D.C., I really do--it's one of my favorite places, and I can't wait until Nathan and I can go back and experience it together. It has so many opportunities--museums, gardens, memorials, shopping, awesome public transportation, and . . . author events. I had literally just read Kristin Gore's first book, Sammy's Hill, and I loved it. In fact, I loved it so much, I finished it and read it again because I was not ready for it to be over and also considered striking up a conversation with someone who was also reading it on the bus. And it just so happened that she was speaking at a bookstore right by my "office" (the magazine actually had the top floor of a house as an office, but ya). I was thrilled.

I got there early with my books, waiting for her to come out. And then she did! She read from her new book, the sequel to my beloved Sammy's Hill, and then answered questions. She actually got several questions about her parents (she's Al Gore's daughter) that she handled very gracefully. And then she did a signing. I was so nervous to actually meet her, and I'm pretty sure I said, "umm, ahh, I really liked your book." and then we got a picture together.
Picture
It was amazing. And tonight, I have another amazing opportunity. Sarah Dessen, one of my most favorite authors who I have been reading forever, will be in Omaha. So my wonderful friend Meagan, who is also a huge (probably more than me even) Sarah Dessen fan and I are hitting the road, hoping for an autograph and a picture. I'll be sure to spill the details tomorrow afternoon after work.

No comments:

Post a Comment