Monday, April 11, 2011

Trading Spaces, Whitney-Style

Does anyone remember the TLC show "Trading Spaces"? I was obsessed with this show in high school. For those unfamiliar with the concept, two neighbors swapped houses, were given a designer and a carpenter (such as Ty Pennington before he got all Extreme Makeover Home Edition) and had two days to redo a room in the other person's home. Most of the time, the rooms were wild and crazy and themed and people either really loved them or really hated them.

I did my own episode of "Trading Spaces" this week, and I even caught myself doing the corny "Ooooh!! when I opened the paint color and stirred it. And I never understood why the people were so tired and complainy by day two though. Until now. Painting and redoing a room is hard work, especially if you make a week of it. And honestly, it took me way longer than I thought to even get the room just painted.

But, it's done! The walls required two coats of primer and one and a half coats of paint. The other half was re-edging, which I have discovered is my least favorite part of painting. I also went ahead and painted the trim and the windows, so we wouldn't have to move all of the furniture out again. I mean, this is what the living room currently looks like:
Picture
Nope, we don't want to do that again. Luckily most of our furniture is mobile, thanks to being lightweight and those little sticky cloth pads that we put on the feet. The bookshelves were the only thing I needed Nathan's help with. And taking the curtains down, of course.

But back to the paint. I'm going to do some before and after photos when the room is put back together, but for now, I want to show you the colors we chose. Originally, as in way back in the day when Nathan moved in, we planned to keep the blue metallic wall and only repaint the weird coppery brown color walls something lighter. And then I fell in love with some curtains. I went online to Pottery Barn to get you a link, but they are no longer available, so you'll have to just check them out when I do the after photos. Basically, they have red and orange and purple and blue flowers on them, and I knew they were the perfect way to bring some purple (my favorite color) into the house.

I kind of love Martha Stewart, so of course, her paint was my first stop. And I found the perfect color there, Purple Agate. The best part of Martha's paints is that they have coordinating colors crossed referenced all over the place, and one of the grayey-beige colors we had picked out already turned out to be a match: Sharkey Gray. Nathan was not quite sold on the gray idea, so we also chose a lighter white recommended with the Purple Agate, Pink Sea Salt. And then, we tested them.
Picture
We know that we should look at them in different light, etc., etc., but really, all we did was see if we liked them. And as it turns out, the gray looked more brown than gray, and the pink was much too light. So, those are the colors we decided on, and to hold you over until I put the room back together, here's a preview of how it turned out. This is where the two walls meet. And now I'm off to finish up! I want my house back to normal, and I think Nathan and Shelby want this week's episode of Trading Spaces to be over, too.
Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment