Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Book Review: The Aviator's Wife

I was at Barnes and Noble after Christmas and found The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin on the new releases table, and I couldn't resist buying it.

source
And I'm so glad I bought it, as it is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I read the book in record time because I couldn't put it down.

I didn't know very much about Anne Morrow Lindbergh before I started the book, but by the time I finished, I wanted to be best friends with her. The book told her story in a way that let us not only learn about her life but I also felt that Melanie Benjamin really let us get to know her imagining of Anne Morrow Lindbergh.

The Anne Morrow Lindbergh of this book was a strong woman, and we saw her overcome all of the obstacles that were thrown at her, including fame and all of the consequences that came with it, including the kidnapping of her child. We saw her through the eyes of the public, the eyes of her husband and children, and the eyes of who she thought herself to be.

So, I will say the the greatest strength of this book is the character development. The plot is interesting, as she led a very unique, interesting life, but more than that, it was the insight into Anne Morrow Lindbergh's character that really made the book a great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment