Thursday, March 14, 2013

Omaha Is Not Our Home-aha...

...so going there in the middle of the week and sightseeing is kind of like we had a mini-vacation.

As I mentioned yesterday, Nathan took the day off on Tuesday and we went to Omaha for what I will call a day date. The first summer we were dating, he took me on an all-day date, which invovled the SAC museum and Mahoney Park in Ashland and then a small-town play. This was similar, though it wasn't all-day, but also not a half-day, so thus, the day date moniker.

We started at the Joslyn before heading down to the Old Market. It was a little cold for browsing but we wandered around the little shops anyway. There was hardly anyone out and about at 3 p.m. on a Tuesday (I know, why not?!), which made for nice shopping.

We really had some great sucess at the used book store. Nathan found three books he had been looking for for a while AND as fate would have it (because I truly think it was fate that brought me together with this book), he also found me the last Besty-Tacy Treasury I needed. I didn't even know this book existed, but I'm so excited because 1. I have the others and this completes my collection and 2. the forewords are by Judy Blume and Ann Martin. I think it was fate, because it was in the science fiction section incorrectly, just sitting there on top of the books, and what are the odds that someone looking in the science fiction section would have a wife who would buy that exact book because she's crazy about the series? Right? He said he almost didn't say anything because why wouldn't I have it? But I didn't!

After a very exciting book shopping experience, we went to Upstream for a drink. That was surprisingly busy for 4 p.m. actually. We planned out our Chicago trip, which took longer than it probably should. To do so, we wrote down all of the places we wanted to go and then looked on the iPhone maps what was near each other. It's pretty nerdy but totally us.

We had dinner and then went to see "The Lion King," which was the whole reason we went to Omaha on a random Tuesday anyway. I have never seen anything quite like it. I was prepared for the awesomeness of the costumes because I'd heard they were amazing but wow. It was incredible. The story was not as easy to pick up on as the movie, in my opinion, but it was really just fantastic. I've never heard a standing ovation so loud before. It was also fun to see so many kids there (though the ones around us were pretty well-behaved so maybe that helped) because it reminded me of when my mom took me to see my first play--"Annie"--and how magical I thought it was. I'm so glad that they all could have the same experience with a pretty cool play.

No comments:

Post a Comment