Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Think Spring!: A Guest Bathroom Update

It feels like a huge accomplishment that we finally painted the last room in the house that needed to be painted. Surprisingly, the last one was the one that I think I hated the most, but it was the last to go.

Our laundry room/bathroom is in the basement and has a tiny window that is covered up, so why in the world it was painted dark gray/brown, I will never know, other than obviously different tastes. On top of that, the space behind the washer and dryer was still a completely different color, so that bothered me pretty much every time I did laundry.



 
Here you can see the color on the walls and how dark it is even though we have all of the lights on. I always felt bad about sending our guests down to the dungeon...

 
Here is the inspiration for what I wanted to do with the laundry room. This laundry hamper came back with us on one of our trips from Colorado. I like having a hamper down in the laundry room for all of the household laundry, like dish rags and towels and such. Before it just sat on the washing machine.
 
Here's what it looks like now. We painted the walls yellow to kind of match the top of the hamper. Also, we have tons of yellow paint left from painting our bedroom.
 

 
All of the trim got painted white instead of gray and it makes everything seem a little happier now. We also replaced the dark black rugs and striped shower curtain with white, and that bird rug is kind of my favorite thing. It took many a trip to Target to find just the right one. I laugh every time I look at it though because I think, "Put a bird on it!" from Portlandia. But I did. I put a bird on the bathroom.
 
 
Now my cute vintage hamper looks less out of place than before. I also found a place to hang up most of my Christmas card photos. I got this frame as a graduation present, and it's pretty cool because you just take the top part of (it's magnetic), lay everything out, and then put the top back on. At least that's how it's supposed to happen. I held it up and all of the photos came flying out, so I had to tape everything down to keep it in place.
 
I'm not going to say that doing laundry is really fun now that the room is cute, but it does make it a little more enjoyable to be in a room that's a lot less gloomy.

No comments:

Post a Comment